The motivation statement is a personal statement, up to one page long. The document is written and used to submit application for University program or to apply for job. The motivation statement can show the members of selection committee, why you are good candidate for the position. Motivation statement is usually part of the application form (one of the fields) rather than separate document. However, some Universities refer to motivation letters when they require motivation statement.
Therefore if you are planning to study master degree or PHD, one of the important parts of your application is the Motivational Statement. Motivational statement can really improve your odds to get the position on the University or the job, because good motivation statement can impress selection panel if you have done your home-work .
What are the key information that every motivation statement should contain?
The motivational statement should describe what you have done previously in relation to the field you want to study, what you hope to get out of the studies, and what you want to do in the future. Therefore every motivation statement should respond to the following questions:
- how do you expect that your experience will help in preparing for the BSc/Master/PhD
- describe previous responsibilities relevant to the area of studies / work
- Provide any examples from the past that demonstrate the above?
- What will make you a good student?
- What are the main areas in which you would like to improve your skills or knowledge?
- Why this program of study is important you?
- What you hope to gain from the program?
- What are your career plans are and how the program will help you achieve your career goals?
- Do you have the language proficiency required by the Call for application?
- What aspects of the program appeal to you?
The statement should be divided into two parts. The first part should answer how your work experience is relevant to the program you are applying for and why you feel you are professionally/academically qualified to be admitted and successfully complete the program.
Second part should show you expectations and potential benefits from graduating from this program.
Ultimate tips for writing motivation statement
- Use MS Word or some other word processing software to write motivation statement and then copy from that file into the envisaged form, to avoid losing any work if you are logged out by the Application Portal
- Be aware that the University could use a software to check motivational statement in order to ensure that they are genuine. Any motivation statement containing copied text, either entire statements or in part could be rejected.